Bring Butterflies to Your Garden

Butterflies in a Herb GardenEncouraging butterflies and hummingbirds to share in your herb bounty will add dimension to your gardening efforts, give your flying garden friends a welcome place to rest or a meal, and embrace the unexpected in the garden. A frisky hummingbird will tease your cat, which might seem dangerous, but I've never seen a cat catch one of these fast fliers. As for butterflies, watching them take flight is like seeing flower petals in motion. Interested?

If you like to entertain in the garden, there's no better way to bring the beauty of the outdoors right to your patio or deck than with some flying visitors that don’t bite or sting.

To Invite Butterflies to Your Garden Try Growing:

Catmint
Creeping thyme
Dill
Geraniums
Mints
Oregano
Parsley
Sweet marjoram

Throwing in some bright red flowers wouldn't hurt either.

Bring Hummingbirds to Your Garden With:

Bee Balm
Bergamot
Catmint
Comfrey
Hyssop (Anise)
Rosemary
Texas Sage (Salvia coccinea)

Throwing in some deep-throated flowers, like trumpet vine, would be a big draw too.

Comments

  1. I knew there was another reason I had purchased dill and parsley seeds!

    Luckily, I also have oregano started indoors already - I'll have to remmeber to group them together...you give me a little hope of attracting butterflies to my apartment "garden". :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica,

    I always think having a butterfly visit my garden is a good omen. I like to photograph them too.

    Good luck. I hope you get lots of butterfly visitors.

    - Sara

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share some ideas.