Free Seed Catalogs 2012 - Spring Herb Catalogs and General Seed Catalogs

Free Herb Seed Catalogs
If you're like me, January is the perfect time to start planning your spring herb and vegetable garden. The landscape may look bleak today, but in a couple of months everything will change for the better. Become a part of it by making this your best year in the garden.

I've gathered together a list of free catalog links that will help you get in on the fun. Every season sees new plant varieties to play with. Heartier plant strains, brighter colors and delightful miniatures are a few of the surprises in store for us all this year. Sign up now so you'll have plenty of time for gleeful strategizing before the birds start tuning up for another season.

Unless otherwise noted, the online retailers mentioned offer free printed catalogs and often the links go right to the sign up pages.

If you have a favorite I've missed, let us us all know.  Happy shopping!

Sara

CHECK OUT THE LIST OF CATALOGS FOR THE 2013 SEASON HERE

Free Seed Catalogs for Spring Garden Planning

Johnny's Selected Seeds
Kitazawa Seed Co. (Asian veggies and herbs)
Medicinal Herb Plants (Click the link in the sidebar and request a catalog via email.)
Nichols Garden NurseryPark Seed (online catalog or a $1 charge for a hard copy)
Pinetree Garden Seeds (Thanks David!)
Prairieland Herbs ( PDF only)
Ricther's Herb Catalog
Sand Hill Preservation Center (Online only - Recommendation courtesy of Tacketts Hill Farm - thanks!)
Sand Mountain Herbs (online only)
Seeds of Change ( PDF Catalog)

Comments

  1. Let me suggest another catalog: Sand Hill Preservation Center in Calamus, Iowa, has a catalog of heirloom seeds and poultry.

    www.sandhillpreservation.com

    Thanks for a very useful blog. I found you as I searched for info about herb gardening. This year we will be planting a kitchen and medicine cabinet herb garden along with flowers to reduce pest animals and insects.

    Are there herbs/flowers I can grow along with my cabbage and lettuce to reduce slugs? I have ducks in the garden to eat slugs - but they also eat cabbage and lettuce. Not sure who does more harm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I've kept ducks and they're great for both slugs and snails. I agree that they can be destructive, though. I'll get back to you in a bit about a companion gardening solution for slugs on leafy greens. I need to check my notebooks.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go visit Pinetree Gardens www.superseeds.com and see what you think. I LOVE that little company because they offer smaller packs of seeds for smaller prices.
    The have a genuine focus on heirlooms and unusual varieties that mature quickly for northern gardeners.
    Great, family-owned atmosphere as well.
    David/ :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey David,

    I took a quick look around and this little site is wonderful. I particularly like the medicinal herbs section.

    I've added their catalog page to the list.

    Thanks!

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sara,

    I wanted to tell you my experience with the seed catalogs. Shortly after you posted this, I went through and requested ALL of the catalogs listed here. The first one to arrive was from Kitazawa, maybe 2 days after I requested it. I was surprised and delighted! I am not at all familiar with Asian vegetables, but they even have recipes in the back of the catalog for preparing some typical Japanese dishes and sauces. Eventually, I ordered from 3 different catalogs: Kitazawa, Heirloom Acres and the old stand-by, Gurney's. Again, I received my order from Kitazawa lightning-fast. I already have dwarf pak-choi and Japanese melons growing. The Gurney's order came in 3 separate packages, one of which was completely smashed, but Gurney's is replacing the 2 shrubs which were in it. The big disappointment was Heirloom Acres. I ordered from them partly because they have EXCELLENT prices on heirloom seeds, they are a small family-run business and they are located in Missouri, just a few hours from me here in Arkansas, so I feel as though their seed varieties will do well for me during the hot, dry summer. Three weeks and they still have not even shipped my order - I was told they will be shipping it on Monday. I had emailed them earlier to inquire about my order and they didn't even bother to reply to my email, so I was forced to call them. So far I'm rather disappointed with their service. I have been in the catalog business for over 19 years, so I understand that sometimes you have delays, but ignoring customer inquiries is no way to do business.
    Anyway, just thought I would let you know how things worked out. Keep up the good work, I enjoy reading the blog.
    Thanks,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly,

    Thanks for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback on your experiences. If you haven't ordered seeds or plants via catalog before it can seem simple and straightforward. There are a number of factors involved that make dealing with a particular supplier a delight or a disaster. You're an old hand, but for many this will be their first year ordering plants from a catalog.

    Sometimes delays, errors or shipping damage are unfortunate accidents. If they become a pattern with a retailer, though, they signal a lack of conscientious effort and adequate customer service. The whole issue is exacerbated by the fact that living things are involved and getting them in the soil at the right time (and in good condition) can mean the difference between eating cranberry beans this season and just looking at the pretty pictures.

    For anyone reading this: Do try ordering seeds and plants via catalog. It is fun and you'll have access to many more plant varieties than you'll be able to find locally. Be sure to read the terms and conditions catalog page so you know your rights should anything unfortunate happen, though. If you have a bad experience and think you've received shoddy treatment, cross that company off your list for next year -- and the year after that. Tell your friends, too. Word of mouth can be a powerful corrective tool when it comes to commerce.

    Kelly, I hope you have a wonderful garden this year.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share some ideas.